.A mixture is a liquid preparation meant for oral administration in which medicament or medicaments are dissolved, suspended, or dispersed in a suitable vehicle. or Mixtures are Liquid preparation meant for oral administration, & dispensed in a bottle with severe doses.
If pharmaceutical mixture is supplied as a single dose, mixtures is called Draught.
Advantage of mixture:-
- 1. Easy to administer.
- 2. Suitable for the insoluble drug.
- 3. Suitable for the immiscible drug.
- 4. The bioavailability is more compare to solid dosage form.
Disadvantage of mixture:-
- 1. Less soluble than solid dosage form.
- 2. Incompatibilities.
- 3. Stability.
- 4. Expensive.
- 5. Bulky to carry.
Classification of Mixture
1. Simple mixture containing soluble substances
2. Mixture containing diffusible solids
3. Mixture containing indiffusible solids
4. Mixture containing Precipitate forming liquids
5. Mixture containing Slightly soluble liquid
|Simple mixture containing soluble substances||Mixture containing diffusible solids||Mixture containing indiffusible solids||Mixture containing Precipitate forming liquids||Mixture containing Slightly soluble liquid|
|It contains only soluble ingredients & is represented by true solution. It is a clear homogenous mixture.||Diffusible solids are those which do not dissolve in water but upon shaking the powdered drug is evenly diffused throughout liquid & remain distributed uniformly for sufficient time.||Indiffusible solids are not soluble in water & do not remain uniformly distributed in vehicle for sufficient time. Therefore suspending agents are added to suspend a drug.|
Suspending agents:– Compound tragacanth powder(CTP) & Tragacanth mucilage (TM)
|Certain liquid preparations contain liquid containing (resin), when mixed with water, resin is precipitated which may adhere to the sides of the bottles & this will not re-diffuse upon shaking. To prevent this suspending agents CTP (compound tragacanth powder), TM (tragacanth mucilage) are used||Slightly soluble liquid is not readily diffusible. So suspending agent is added to dispersed such mixture as CTP & TM|
|Example:-Carminative mixture, Expectorant mixture, Diarrhoea mixture etc.||Example:-Bismuth subnitrate, Magnesium carbonate.||Example:-Acetyl salicylic acid, Quinine salicylate, calomel, Phenacetin, chalk powder, Benzoic acid, Phenobarbitone etc||Example:-resin extract, tinctures etc||Example:-Paraldehyde liquid|
Storage of Mixtures
- Mixtures are extemporaneously preparations. So that Mixtures are not prepared to keep them for a long period since they are mainly prescribed for acute conditions (cough, indigestion, diarrhea, constipation etc). Which can be used in within a short period (not more than 3 days to prevent deterioration).
- Mixtures are dispensed in plain glass bottles with uniform internal diameter.
- The bottle should be fitted with a suitable cork which ensures its easy removal and to prevent spilling of Mixture
Join Our WhatsApp Group to receive the latest updates like Pharma Job notifications, study materials, admission alerts, Pharma News, etc
Join Our Telegram Group to receive the latest updates like Pharma Job notifications, study materials, admission alerts, Pharma News, etc
Join Our Telegram Group to Download Free Books for D.Pharm, B.Pharm, M.Pharm & GPAT……….