Pharmaceutical Eardrop, Nasal drop, Nasal spray
- Liquid/Solution meant for External use
- Liquid/Solutions used for Internal Use:
- These are solutions that are instilled into the ear with a dropper (prepared in water, glycerine, propylene glycol & dilute alcohol as vehicles.
- Ear drops are used for
- Cleaning the ear
- Softening the wax
- Treating the infection
- Containers = colored fluted glass bottle with a dropper in the cap or suitable plastic container.
These are isotonic solution that are instilled into the nose with a dropper.
- Notes: Oily vehicles is not used because oily drops inhibit the movement of cilia in the nasal mucosa & may cause lipoid pneumonia if used for long period.
- Nasal drops should
- Isotonic with 0.9% NaCl
- Neutral pH – (phosphate buffer of pH 6.5 as a vehicle)
- Viscosity similar to nasal secretion by using 0.5% methylcellulose.
- Preparation must not interfere with the cleansing action of epithelial cilia of the nasal mucosa.
- Dispensed in–colored fluted bottles filter with a dropper plastic container.
- Nasal spray is used to reduce nasal congestion & to treat infections.
- Nasal spray/solution is sprayed using scent spray type of Atomiser or plastic squeeze bottle in the coarse droplets form.
- Should be Isotonic & buffered at pH 6.2 (phosphate buffer)
List of Isotonic preparations
- Isotonic preparations including
- Nasal drops
- Nasal spray
- Ophthalmic preparation
- Parenteral preparation
Join Our WhatsApp Group to receive the latest updates like Pharma Job notifications, study materials, admission alerts, Pharma News, etc
Join Our Telegram Group to receive the latest updates like Pharma Job notifications, study materials, admission alerts, Pharma News, etc
Join Our Telegram Group to Download Free Books for D.Pharm, B.Pharm, M.Pharm & GPAT……….