Pharmaceutical Eardrop, Nasal drop, Nasal spray
- Liquid/Solution meant for External use
- Liquid/Solutions used for Internal Use:
- These are solutions that are instilled into the ear with a dropper (prepared in water, glycerine, propylene glycol & dilute alcohol as vehicles.
- Ear drops are used for
- Cleaning the ear
- Softening the wax
- Treating the infection
- Containers = colored fluted glass bottle with a dropper in the cap or suitable plastic container.
These are isotonic solution that are instilled into the nose with a dropper.
- Notes: Oily vehicles is not used because oily drops inhibit the movement of cilia in the nasal mucosa & may cause lipoid pneumonia if used for long period.
- Nasal drops should
- Isotonic with 0.9% NaCl
- Neutral pH – (phosphate buffer of pH 6.5 as a vehicle)
- Viscosity similar to nasal secretion by using 0.5% methylcellulose.
- Preparation must not interfere with the cleansing action of epithelial cilia of the nasal mucosa.
- Dispensed in–colored fluted bottles filter with a dropper plastic container.
- Nasal spray is used to reduce nasal congestion & to treat infections.
- Nasal spray/solution is sprayed using scent spray type of Atomiser or plastic squeeze bottle in the coarse droplets form.
- Should be Isotonic & buffered at pH 6.2 (phosphate buffer)
List of Isotonic preparations
- Isotonic preparations including
- Nasal drops
- Nasal spray
- Ophthalmic preparation
- Parenteral preparation