|Name of Preparation||Composition: I2/KI (%w/v)||Use|
|Weak Iodine Solution IP 1966/BP||2% / 2.5 % in purified water (no alcohol)||Antiseptic|
|Aqueous Iodine Solution IP 1966 Note: Also Known as Strong Iodine Solution USP/Lugol’s Solution||5%/ 10 % in purified water (no alcohol)||Source of Iodine|
|Strong Iodine Solution IP 1966||10 %/6% in purified water 10 % & Alcohol (90%) q.s.||Antiseptic|
|Iodine tincture USP||2 % / 2.4 % NaI (Use Sod. Iodide in Place of KI)||Antiseptic|
- Iodine: It is found in Sea-water (traces) & Seaweeds Laminaria digitata.
- Any preparations which provide free Iodine are bactericidal, fungicidal, amoebicidal & virucidal.
1. Weak lodine Solution B.P./.P. (1966)
It contains 2.0% w/v of Iodine and 2.5% w/v of Potassium Iodide in purified water. It does not contain any alcohol. Uses : Antiseptic.
2. Aqueous Iodine Solution IP 1966/BP:
It is also known as (Strong Iodine U.S.P.)/ Lugol’s solution. It does not contain any alcohol. It contains 5.0% w/v of Iodine and 10.0% w/v of Potassium iodide in the purified water. Uses: Source of Iodine.
3. Strong Iodine Solution IP 1966
It contains 10.0% w/v of Iodine and 6% w/v of Potassium Iodide in purified water (10%) & Alcohol 90% in sufficient quantity to produce final solution. Use: Antiseptic
4. Iodine tincture USP
It contains 2.0% w/v of Iodine and 2.4% w/v of Sodium Iodide (NaI) in diluted alcoholic solution.